Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I gave my dog Loperamide Hydrochloride (liquid) she has had

Customer Question

I gave my dog Loperamide Hydrochloride (liquid) for diarrhea she has had off and on for about 10 days. She is sick now and threw up and I have no vet within 50 miles of me. Is there something I can give her to counteract this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

Unfortunately some dogs can have a reaction to loperamide so I do not typically advise administering it but there is no medication to counteract its effects except treating the symptoms. If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Abby comfortable.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 15 minutes tonight to answer any additional questions

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!