Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 6 year old bulldog and he hasnt stopped panting all

Customer Question

hi i have a 6 year old bulldog and he hasnt stopped panting all night we are a bit concerned as we had another bulldog and he went like this the children took him out when he came back he collapsed and died within about 10 minutes off coming back also he cant go very far without panting like the other one did.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bulldog?
Customer: no not really we have a fan on him to try and cool him down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Bulldog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Are his gums bright pink in color, or do they seem pale? Is he eating and drinking? Any coughing at all?

Panting can indicate pain, stress, fever, internal disesase, fluid in the lungs, high blood pressure. If his gums are pink, that is a sign he is getting enough air into his lungs.

Since there are so many things that can cause a dog to pant excessively, I start with a thorough physical exam: Check gum color, feel pulses, listen with a stethoscope, palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, take the temperature. If I hear fluid in the lungs, I take a chest Xray. Most of this you can't do at home, but can you check his gums and take his temperature and tell me what you find?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is your bulldog doing? I hope you were able to see my response. Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.