Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have an english bulldog and he has not wanted to eat day

Customer Question

Hello. I have an english bulldog and he has not wanted to eat for a day now. He has now since threw up and had diareeha.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bulldog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Honestly, we have had him on the same diet since he was a puppy. We only feed him that.
JA: What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Ice Cube
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ice Cube?
Customer: In the past he did have calcium stones. And a surgery was performed to remove them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using our Just Answer service. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is Ice Cube? If you look at his gums, are they pink in color or do they seem pale?

Is he drinking water?

Dogs vomit for dozens or more reasons: eating something indigestible or toxic, liver or kidney disease, parasites, infections, etc. Often things get better after 24 hours of offering only clear fluids, and maybe giving some Pepcid AC (famotidine) at 5 mg per 20 pounds, twice daily.

If his gums look pale, if he has a fever (rectal temp over 103), if he is dehydrated and not drinking, then he may need medical attention.

Let me know about how is gums look, if you can take his temperature, if he will drink water, and any other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ice cube is 3 years old. I checked his gums and they are a little pale where his K-9 teeth are, other than that they are light pink. I do not have a thermometer to check his rectum temperature; however he is drinking water. He has diarrhea though. What kind of over the counter medicine would you suggest I give him?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

For vomiting, you can give Pepcid AC (famotidine) at 5 mg per 20 pounds of body weight, twice daily. For diarrhea, you can give Imodium or Pepto Bismal at 1/4th the dose for adults on the label if he is 50 to 60 pounds.

I would only offer clear fluids (broth, water, ice cubes, pedialyte) at first. If he goes a few hours without vomiting, then try a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice.

I am worried if his gums are not a normal bright "bubble gum" pink; pale gums can indicate dehydration, internal disease.

Let me know what other questions I can answer and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is Ice Cube doing? I hope you were able to see my response. Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.