Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My shihtzu/terrier mix is shaking and when I touch s belly

Customer Question

My shihtzu/terrier mix is shaking and when I touch his belly it's hard. He hasn't eaten, and vomits a white foamy vomit. I touched near his penis on his stomach and he yelps.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: He is fixed as well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea? Any issues passing urine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He woke with these symptoms, his gums are pink, he hasn't drank anything. No bm and he yelps when touched, and tenses up. He won't go up or down stairs now either, nor will he jump up on furniture. He never chews on things he shouldn't. I don't think he ate anything.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

And can he pass urine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He did this morning with no problem but hasn't since but also isn't drinking water. He did eat grass this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

First, I have to say I am quite worried about your lad. The yelping as well as the lack of stairs/jumping are all signs of belly pain. Common causes for this alongside the vomiting and grass eating (both nausea signs) would be severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items), gut twists (less common in this breed), or blocked bladders (an emergency in male dogs but thankfully not likely if he is passing urine).

With this all in mind, since he can urinate, and likely didn't eat anything harmful, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and since he is showing so many clear pain signs we do need to tread with care. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, is very tense and sore, or doesn't settle with the above in a few hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gut safe pain relief (since human OTC options aren't safe here) +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would pepto work as well?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I don't tend to use Pepto Bismol if they have vomiting (the aspirin in it can irritate the stomach lining), its more appropriate for diarrhea. So, we'd be best to skip that and use one of the above antacids in this case.

Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He ended up having a slipped disc and had surgery. Picking him up today actually. Thank k you for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

The poor lad. Rarely would we expect GI upset as you saw with disc issues, but I am glad they got to the true root of his discomfort and have addressed that for him

Speedy recovery wishes for Oscar,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )