Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have tried many, from expensive to cheap, dry dog

Customer Question

I have tried many, from expensive to cheap, dry dog foods,yet my Maltese poodle won't eat . I try giving him healthy parts of our foods mixed with them , tried various tin foods, but he still won't eat. If I hand feed him I can get him to eat some. He only wants our meat. He has a bowel problem from a small bone he found on our walks which he had to have manipulated by the vet and is prone to constipation since. The vet can't find anything wrong with him. He's starving and looking for food now with his bowl full with 2 different choices. What am I to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's just eaten some food but only when my husband hand fed him.
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is dr. Reupert . I'm sorry to hear about your trouble getting this little guy to eat . it's a common problem in small breeds and sometimes challenging to fix . I would like to ask you some questions . how old is he ? how much does he weigh ? does he have any other problems other than constipation and loss of appetite ? has he had a blood profile done in the last year ? Please write me back

I just noticed that he is 2 yrs old. How long has his appetite been poor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
While I was away last year he got a bone stuck in his intestines which the vet massaged out. Since then we are very careful what he is given and I sometimes give him pumpkin or a stringy fruit like mango to heal his constipation. It is also since then that he has become very picky. He loves sweet things but if I do give him it is a minute piece . The vet gave me probiotic but it doesn't seem to do much . He won't touch any tin food.the vet has done tests and says everything is normal and no matter what he gives doesn't alter his pickiness
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't call as I am in South Africa
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He did way 6kg but I can see over the last couple of days he gas lost some weight.

Thanks for the info that's going to help me some . Many dogs will become picky about the food they will eat . I would try to gradually expose him to a more balanced diet . Start by adding a small amount of a cooked rice to some fried hamburger . Keep increasing the amount of rice until you get to about a third of the volume of the hamburger . Make these changes slowly and possibly add a little Parmesan cheese to increase the palatability . To help with the constipation I would start adding a half to a third of a teaspoon of Metamucil unflavored to the hamburger rice mixture . This has no taste what does provide fiber . You should also be giving a multi-vitamin mineral supplement, but this may cause him to not want to eat it . You can cook a homemade diet for him but I think it will be gradual shift from the all meat diet that he is on right now . You should also add about a teaspoon or two of cottage cheese to provide a calcium source to this homemade diet . Again this needs to be gradual as he may reject anything that isn't meat.

You could also experiment with cat food. It meets or exceeds all of the canine requirements, and many dogs find it more palatable

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I will try this. I do feed him vegetables when we eat to give him some roughage. I did wonder about cat food . Thank you.

You're welcome...if you have further questions I'm available