Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Is Imodium safe to give an adult 80 pound lab with severe

Customer Question

Is Imodium safe to give an adult 80 pound lab with severe diarrhea, Pectin and Kaolin is not working. Probable cause of diarrhea is dog was given a few treats while at doggie play group on Thursday. These were treats he has not had before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, I must note that if he isn't responding to the Kaolin, this may be a sign that the treats are a red herring and that something else (ie gut infection, parasites, etc) is to blame. So, we do need to tread with care. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, Imodium (Loperamide) can be used in larger dogs. Though do note the dose is very small for dogs since they are quite sensitive to the medication. In fact, for an 80lb dog, they can only have 3.2mg (so 1.5 tablets of the 2mg tablets is fine) every 12 hours. But it can be used to see if you can soothe Finn's signs.

Otherwise, just in case he is sensitive to your light diet, you can use pasta instead of rice and substitute chicken for boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. And you can even add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these to further help reduce the diarrhea.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.