Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is trying to poop and he can't, He runs around like

Customer Question

My dog is trying to poop and he can't, He runs around like crazy. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he is acting normal. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 3 years old. He is an American pitbull
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Faegan?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

When did he last pass stool? Was it normal (or hard or soft)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It started last night and there isn't any pain when I press on his stomach and it doesn't seem to be bloated and he had some loose bowels last night. He pooped like 6 times but he was running around and pooping in different areas. Now today he cant go at all and is acting normal otherwise.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As far as I know he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His gums are pink and his mouth is moist.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if he did pass multiple loose stools last night, he may not actually have much to pass at the moment. So, if he is well in himself, we'd just want to monitor at this stage. Of course, if you don't see stool in 24 hours since the last ones passed, then you can try some supportive care.

In regards ***** ***** our first step would be to try cow’s milk as it can be helpful at getting things moving along since dogs are like lactose sensitive people and will have increased gut movement with this. Otherwise, we can use a GI lubricant to get things moving. Often we will use OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from the vet or the pet shop. Similarly, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Overall, if he recently passed a lot of stool, his gut may be empty and need 24 hours to "refill". So, we'd just monitor if he is normal otherwise. But if 24 hours passes and you don't see stool or you do see straining, then we'd want to use the above to help get things moving. Of course, if we try that and don't see feces; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.