Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog keeps coughing, like he has a hair ball. It is not

Customer Question

My dog keeps coughing, like he has a hair ball. It is not kennel cough.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The possibilities for this type of cough are infections of the airway, foreign bodies, allergies and heart disease. Because Nubbin is so young, heart disease seems unlikely but it would be good to have this checked. If Nubbin is otherwise totally normal and there does not appear to be anything inside his mouth or airways, this is more likely Kennel Cough. I know you do not think this would be the case but this is the most common cause.

This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your sweet Nubbin can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Nubbin 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of his weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so your guy is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Nubbin to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease or other conditions.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Cynthia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nubbin. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta