Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our yellow lab has just started showing signs of "pink-eye"

Customer Question

Our yellow lab has just started showing signs of "pink-eye" (for lack of a better term) . One eye he keeps closed and the other is reddish, not much mucus or crusting but he's somewhat lethargic (not himself) He's about 5 yrs old and lives on 3 acres. what are your suggestions? Craig
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning Craig and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may be causing this , Craig, but since he is running on 3 acres, there is a good chance that he either has developed allergies to something in the area or has irritated the eyes from running through brush. There is a possibility that your guy could have a foreign body such as a plant awn in his eye or eyes but I would expect more discharge if this were the case. The best thing you can do for your guy now, Craig, is to apply a few drops of Artificial Tears to each eye every 6 hrs which will help flush away any irritants or bacteria that may be present. This is available over the counter at the pharmacy by Bausch and Lomb. Also, since allergies is a possibility, give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for a few days. If there is no improvement, have your vet examine your guy to be sure we have not missed something. If he has a corneal ulcer, this could be very serious for your guy Craig and nothing to be left untreated.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****