Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What is a home remedy dog that is spitting up hair

Customer Question

What is a home remedy for my dog that is spitting up hair balls
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that if Liza is specifically bringing up hairballs, then we'd want to treat her the same way we do a cat with this issue. Therefore, you can use OTC cat hairball treatment from your local vet or pet store. Otherwise, it can help to add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to her food to help push the hairballs down the gut and out the other end. And if she has any nausea with this or is bringing anything else up, then you could try an consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep this down, then that is usually a red flag of something more than hairballs (ie gut infections, foreign bodies), and we'd need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication and rule out those other concerns.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.