Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

16 year old dog. Skin red,warm. Paws red. Paw pads cold.

Customer Question

16 year old dog. Skin red,warm. Paws red. Paw pads cold. Nose cold. She seemed to be eating and drinking water ok today. About 8 hours ago eyes were red. Now both eyes blood shot. Sunk in. One eye covered with third eyelid. Doesn't seem to hurt when I touch them. But they are really sunk in. She hasn't had water in a couple hours. She hasn't pooped in almost a week which is becoming the norm for her. She's doing this thing were the muscles on top of her head are contracting. But she doesn't seem to be trembling anywhere else. She's laying down but keeps lifting her head and licking her lips every minute or so. Emergency room or can I wait till the vet in the morning ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. The symptoms you describe are quite unusual and given that she is 16, I'm inclined to say head to the ER. Our elderly pets are so fragile and even minor conditions that would be fairly harmless in a young pet, can be very dangerous in these older kiddos.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to follow up and see how you and your pet are doing.