Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

My dog is bleeding from her rectum it just started today. I

Customer Question

My dog is bleeding from her rectum it just started today. I am unable to see a vet for two weeks. It is slight dark seems like its mixed with diarreha smal amounts. Slightly bright. What can i do for her till i get her to a vet. Is she in pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and Patricia. Has she experienced any vomiting? Is she still eating for you?

If she is not vomiting and still has a good appetite, I would actually withhold food tonight (water is ok) and allow her tummy & colon to rest. You can give over the counter Pepcid AC (10 mg tablet by mouth every 12 hours) starting immediately. If she continues to do well, then start with a very bland diet (boiled rice, boiled chicken) and feed a small amount (1/4 cup). If she is no longer having diarrhea and eating well, you can continue the small amounts of rice and chicken for 48 hours. Then slowly transition back to regular food.

If she is vomiting, follow the same instructions to withhold food, giving a small amount in the morning. If she eats and does not vomit, great! I do not like for any dogs to vomit more than 24-48 hours without medical attention, so you may need an ER clinic if one is available.

A small amount of dark blood in the stool is common anytime the colon is irritated, so this could be something simple like she ate rabbit poo in the backyard to intestinal parasites to something much more serious that requires some blood work run. If this isn't resolving, be prepared for your vet to ask about running some tests

If I have answered all of your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Hi Patricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Patricia Walocko. How is everything going?

Christi Belew