Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Dog has open sores on s back and tail. silk,4years old,

Customer Question

dog has open sores on his back and tail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: silk,4years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Silk?
Customer: that's about it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog has these lesions! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted, especially being so widespread.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection as well as scratching causing trauma to the skin

2.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may cause sedation

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

Again if this is not improving over the weekend please consider a veterinary exam for your little one.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Darrhyl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman