Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Not sure if a family member dropped a subutex. He keeps

Customer Question

Not sure if a family member dropped a subutex. He keeps falling down he's older and he keeps falling down which he has problems with his legs anyway but we found a pill that looks like it could be that medicine and he's crying and I'm scared
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Just that he's an older Dog. What do we do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

How much does he weigh and how many milligrams of burpenorphine was in that Subutex, please? Please note that this drug is poorly absorbed unless it stays in the mouth until it's absorbed through the oral mucous membranes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
8/2mg looks like he just licked it

Thank you. If he had ingested a full 8 mg (with only 5% available if swallowed) = 0.4 mg - a dose for a 40 lb dog. Just licking it shouldn't be responsible for his current behavior, however. I would be more concerned about his back at this time - a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as a slipped disk, degenerative myelopathy, or a tumor in or around his spinal cord. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?