Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have 6 1 month old puppies and my mom used bleach to clean

Customer Question

Hi. I have 6 1 month old puppies and my mom used bleach to clean our garage where we keep them. My mom put them in the garage later in the day thinking the garage was dry enough for them, but the puppies stepped in water that was still left from the cleaning. There paws are red and swollen. And they twitch freak out cry and scratch every few minutes. What can I do to help them and get rid of the swelling?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: It's lily, rj, little babe, Thor, Nani, and Tania
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We put there paws in cold water for about 5 minutes then used a hydrocortisone spray for there paws
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

HI there, I'm sorry that your puppies have experienced this recent skin irritation. It will likely pass with time but the best thing to do in the meantime is to clean the paws and provide pain medication. Unfortunately, there is nothing over the counter that is safe enough to give such young pups but washing their feet thoroughly was the right thing to do. You can do this again if they will tolerate it and make sure that all of the bleach has been washed off. Once it has, there is not much else that can be done. My best recommendation is to take them in to your family veterinarian and have them examined so he or she can prescribe pain medication to give for a day or 2 until the inflammation passes. The skin may start to peel and if so they may need antibiotics or a topical cream to help prevent infection. These are also available only by prescription and your vet should be able to help you out with this as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie