PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He has a bad tooth. I just started antibiotics. I plan on

Customer Question

He has a bad tooth. I just started antibiotics. I plan on pulling in a week. But I need to knock him out. He is 9 and weight is around 15lb. Taking him to are vet isn't an option. Vet feels he should be put down. Called a few others and got not accepting new clients. So what can I do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sport. He was an abused dog be for we got him. He has came a long way. He now gets along with every one now. And are other two dogs. He just doesn't like to be handled.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sport?
Customer: Overall he is healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, JACustomer, there is no way to knock a dog out at home, even with medication available to us on the human pharmacy side. At best, ***** ***** offer some basic pain relief with aspirin and the antibiotics should help greatly with symptoms of discomfort.

If you would like information on aspirin dosing, let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm giving him 75mg clindamycin every 12 hours. how much aspirin could I give him.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will keep looking for a vet. But the tooth has to come out. Any advice on that if I end up having to do it

Here's the calculator and information on aspirin dosing. It can be used at a maximum of twice daily: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I would recommend aiming for once a day unless you must go to twice daily. It looks like he can have 75mg which is essentially an 81mg baby aspirin.

If your credit is decent, look into CareCredit.com. If not, you may wish to consider using gofundme.com to start a fundraiser to raise the money for the tooth removal and subsequent dental cleaning. Chances are it won't just be one tooth, they'll need to pull more. We seldom see just a single tooth causing dogs issues so aim for the high end if you choose to fundraise. Better to have too much money than not enough.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?