Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog it's making this noise like something is stuck inside

Customer Question

My dog it's making this noise like something is stuck inside is nose, I took him to the vet they rinsed it with Nasal flush and gave him Dexaject Dexamed 4mg/ml injection, but still the same
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Louie. Do you live where Louie is exposed to plant awns such as the foxtail (see image)? If so, such an awn should be considered to be in his nose at this time of year if he's making "nasal sounds"/sneezing. I need to scope the nose of these dogs and extract the foreign material.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is not sneezing, it sounds like when you have your nose stuffed only in one side, and no we don't have that plant around here and he only goes outside to pee and poop, he' s mostly inside or when we are out we have him always on the leash

Thank you for the additional information. Was Louie's nose scoped prior to and after being flushed? I don't expect to find anything serious at 8 months of age but I do occasionally find nasopharyngeal polyps. Sounding like my nose is stuffed only on one side is unclear to me. I wonder if you're describing a reverse sneeze. Please take a look at this video and let me know: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA7Y-xtfbNAhVE2GMKHcW6COEQtwIIHjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1UyBrb0Hhpk&usg=AFQjCNFQtVEQ-kEzrxHPcGyBbIhGoe7YHQ&sig2=vuNbcEXw-XHEHAgBBZK_-w

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No nothing like that, just that heavy breading sound but his breathing is normal if you understand what I mean, just the sound

Thank you. One less worry. When examined were there other signs referable to infection - a conjunctivitis or cervical lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes under his jaw), e.g.?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No but he will need to remove o e of his baby molars because I understand is still attached to the permanent one and don't have any infection but it will be in the future if not removed, the vet told me to try another editing but I don't want to give him any without sure of what it is provoking this

A dental problem affecting the nasal cavity is a consideration; that one side of his nose that's congested has to be the same side that the dental problem exists. Dental X-rays would be necessary to detect such a problem. It may not be the obvious deciduous (baby) molar. I agree with you, there's no reason to inject him with more dexamethasone if you didn't see a positive change with the initial injection. In summary, scoping his nose and X-raying his maxillary dental arcades are the most sensible diagnostics at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.