Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Is this real? I have an older chihuahua. Female, around 16

Customer Question

Hi! Is this real?
JA: I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I have an older chihuahua. Female, around 16 years old, not fixed, generally seems healthy, just is slow moving now and sleeps a lot. She threw up a good deal of very acidic vomit today and also had very soft stools with blood in it - almost diarrhea-like with blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nothing in her diet has changed. She seems okay - resting. Her poop was also very soft for the past few days with some blood in it - the vomit today is new
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been sick - what is her name?

There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you. You can reply with more thoughts or questions at any time.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her name is*****'s hard to tell how sick she is because she's always so mellow and sleeps so much.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the extra info :)

I know at 16 years of age she probably spends a whole lot of time sleeping - right?

Vomiting and diarrhea is a pretty common complaint in dogs in general. Often we don't get an answer on what caused it - it could be a viral infection, a parasitic issue, or a dietary indiscretion ("I ate something that didn't agree with me"). In a dog as aged as Buggy, though, I would lean toward calling the vet sooner rather than later. Things that a younger dog can recover from easily can be much more difficult for a dog of Buffy's age to rebound from. Some pepcid can settle her stomach (I'll attach a link at the end), and you can try to get her to drink a little of an electrolyte solution like Pedialyte. A bland diet made of three parts rice and one part boiled hamburger can also help ease diarrhea, but that won't be helpful until her vomiting stops. Since she is an older pet, I would suggest calling your vet in the morning for some symptomatic treatment. She may need a little help getting through this little bump in the road. Also, having her seen by the vet can help determine if it might be something more serious and address it ASAP.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Here's the info on pepcid for upset tummies:

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! Yes she does sleep most of the day now that she's older. I'll watch her tonight and give her some electrolytes and then call the vet in the morning. Thank you for the advice and comfort.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Sure thing :) Good luck with your baby - you've obviously been doing a great job to get her to 16! Have a nice night :)

~Dr. Sara