Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My twelve year old lab mix is limping -right from paw is

Customer Question

My twelve year old lab mix is limping -right from paw is painful, although I see no cuts or punctures. Could she have a sprain or twist?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello Vera,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Did this happen suddenly? And how long has it been going on?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sudden
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She was walking in the park and began to limp.

Hello again Vera,

Sorry to hear Clover is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Sure, give your description she could well have a muscular strain or sprain, but of course other diagnosis are possible. Strains and sprains and muscular injuries are very common in the dog but many simple ones will resolve with two or three days rest then a gradual return to exercise plus an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin. However if it goes on beyond that or you note any deterioration then you should get your vet involved just to be on the safe side.

2. Aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog. { Aspirin is really your only safe option in the dog in terms of human over the counter drugs }

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Vera,

I am just checking back in to see how clover is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her limping ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.