Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 70-75 pound mixed breed (aussy shepherd/treeing

Customer Question

i have a 70-75 pound mixed breed (aussy shepherd/treeing walker coonhound/great pyrnees). she just ate 30 tablets of Head to Tail brand calming chews. Normal dose for a dog her size is 1-2 chews. ingredients include gogi berry, chamomile, l-theanine and colostrum. should i be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Marjorie,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Marjorie

Cookie should be just fine, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. This sort of product is more a food supplement than a drug and as such has a very high margin of safety in the dog so the chances are that even swallowing quite a few as in your case will not present any toxicity issues. You may perhaps see a minor transient bout of gastro-enteritis. But perhaps not even that in a larger dog like Cookie.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, the chances are that Cookie will be just fine. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Morjorie,

I am just checking back in to see how Cookie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the calming chews incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Marjorie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie. How is everything going?