Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give my 8 yr old lab aspirin or advil? I think she has

Customer Question

Can I give my 8 yr old lab aspirin or advil? I think she has a fever
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello Margaret,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't see any answer

Hello again Margaret,

Sorry to hear Shannon is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Unfortunately Advil and many of the other over the counter human pain killers are very unsuitable for use in the dog due to many reports of side effects and toxicity, most of these drugs would not be a safe option for Shannon.

2. However you do have one reasonably safe option in terms of human over the counter drugs, this being Aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including dose rates and contraindications : LINK

4. Of course if symptoms continue in spite of home remedies or you note any deterioration then your best plan would be to have Shannon checked over by your vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Margaret,

I am just checking back in to see how Shannon is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect fever ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.