Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate peanut butter and is vomiting

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much peanut butter did Willow eat?

2- How long since he ate it?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know how much she ate maybe 2 tbs ? 2 hrs ago no existing condition

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- What is in the vomit?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is not lethargic. She drank some water but vomited again she weighs about 5 lbs. the vomit is creamy foam no other symptoms

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, peanut butter is not toxic but because of the high fat content if consumed in large amounts it can cause: Vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room while fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willow. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter