How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 25550
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My puppy chewed on a roach bait containing fipronil shes

Customer Question

My puppy chewed on a roach bait containing fipronil shes lethargic and continues to just lay around I've gotten her to eat and drink water but still very concerned only 9 weeks old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Swallowed roach bait containing fipronil
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Thankfully, fipronil is considered of very low toxicity when ingested. Oral doses equal to 87 pipettes in dogs and 20 pipettes in cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting. She's likely to experience transient gastrointestinal distress but she wasn't intoxicated. Be patient with her and she should normalize within 36 hours of ingesting that bait. There's no specific antidote but her eating and drinking are positive prognostic signs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We think it might possibly be overheating shes just so small and seems to be struggling shes an all white dog n we noticed in her father that's he's very sensitive to heat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Overheating may certainly be contributing to her malaise. Keeping her inside in air conditioning should suffice. Checking her rectal temperature with any body thermometer placed 1" into her rectum for 1 minute will tell you if she's overheated. Normal is 100.5 -102.5F. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We've been rubbing her down with cool water just wasn't sure what to do if she is running a fever
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You would immerse her cool water but let's see if she does have a fever.