Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My dog is unable to get up appears in too much pain. I'm

Customer Question

my dog is unable to get up appears in too much pain. I'm home bound and unable to take her anywhere. The mobile vet is out of town until Tuesday. I want to get him some steroids but no one will give them unless they see her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to see that your dog is painful. Was he on steroids prior? Does he have a chronic condition that is painful?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, but she is 14 years old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she was panting a lot as if she had a fever, but now she is panting slower, but still can't move.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if you rather call me at(###) ###-####

I am unable to call as I am currently at work but I will try by best to help you through the website. You can check her temperature if you have a rectal thermometer. Normal temperature for a dog is 100.5-102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, I am unable to prescribe medications for a patient that I have not examined and I do not know that steroids are the appropriate medication in this case.

Steroids can cause immunosuppression, GI ulceration, excessive panting, excessive thirst and urination, weight gain and increase in appetite. If your dog is truly painful, then pain medication such as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or an opioid may need to be administered. Over the counter medications are not well tolerated by dogs and ibuprofen can cause renal damage, GI ulceration, vomiting and -in severe overdoses- seizures. There are no over the counter medications that can safely be recommended without having examined your dog.

Did she suddenly collapse? what color are her gums? does her abdomen look bloated? What kind of dog is she?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what could I administer that is over the counter?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she did not collapse, she's a lab, 14 years old, she is over weight, gums look normal color. she tries to get up, but it's the pain or too week.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she did this a year ago, but within hours she began to walk again. It has been 24 hours now; so, there is a difference in time.

Unfortunately, there is really not a lot that I can recommend one the counter as dogs do not tolerate the same medications the way that people do and bad things can happen. Sometimes aspirin can help but this should not be given more than 2 or 3 days as dogs can have GI bleeding or other side effects from this even at therapeutic doses. Dosing is based on weight, how much does your dog weigh?

Your vet may be willing to call in a prescription to the pharmacy to get you through but will likely want to examine your dog before prescribing something. You can bring food and water to her to encourage her to eat and drink and at least prevent further deterioration and dehydration. If there is any way you can get her to an emergency veterinarian this would be the best thing considering that this time the issue seems to be happening longer than it did last time. It may or may not be the same thing.