Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I've got an older dog with a large mass on the upper joint

Customer Question

I've got an older dog with a large mass on the upper joint of his front leg. It hasn't really seemed to bother him at all until recently when one part swelled or grew into its own bump on the large mass. I took him to my vet last thu and he thought/ felt it could be cancer but didn't biopsy or anything like that. That brings me to today, a little while ago the skin broke on the bump part I wouldn't quite call it a burst as there was only a small spot that blood was coming from I stopped the bleeding with pressure, he licked a few times and it started bleeding again I got it stopped and we are ok now. What I am wondering is if it may be something else than what my vet thought. He told me that when it burst, and he was adimit it was a when not if, it would be a discharge of blood and fluids and would smell. Each time today it has only been blood that has come out no other fluids or anything and no smell at all. He's on the older side 13-15 I believe but he dosent seemed bothered by any of this, both times it bled he was more worried about trying to clean up the mess he was making and completely ignored the fact he was bleeding. Any thoughts or advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he had the mass?

2- Is the mass on top of a joint?

3- Can you post a picture?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dr Peter sadly your response came a little to late to be of any help and I lost the battle and ended up having to put him down yesterday. The vet pointed out a spot on the back side of the mass that was soft and thin like the area the broke open was last week so I guess it was only a matter of time till it burst, and with no help my disability wouldn't have allowed me to give him the care that was needed.

Oh my, I am so sorry to learn he was put down. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight. I am sorry for your loss.

Dr. Peter