Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My Chad, has a tender and swollen back left leg. I've given

Customer Question

Hi my ***** ***** Chad, has a tender and swollen back left leg. I've given him a little massage and the tendons seem tight on the inside. His lower back just above his tail on the left side seems to bother him too. He is not himself. And obviously in pain. But of course being a jack won't show it or give in. He feels the need to stretch him self more often but stretching in this way is usually a normal day to day thing for him. He can walk and still pretty mobile. But I'm just unsure if its legiment or something more severe. He still has his "manhood" and I'm worried the possibility of a twisted something down there?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: My name is Jess
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell Chad?
Customer: Yes. We have given him a good look over. Everything seems normal. Apart from his muscle is tight and swollen on left side. He is generally a fit and healthy dog. And hasn't done anything out of the ordinary today. But I'm unsure if he's ran into something or one of the other dogs here while playing in the back yard. We have been monitoring consistently. I fear he may be constipated or unable to poo due to his sore leg..?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou very much for your help so far. There is a very big time difference between us. So I will check back in a few hours. Chad is sleeping right next to my fiance and I and seems settled at the moment. Hopefully its nothing too serious. Thankyou in advance.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about Chad's condition. Without seeing it, it can be difficult to determine what is going on. If he is otherwise comfortable- eating, drinking and able to get around you can monitor it for the next day or so but if he is not eating, if the swelling gets worse or if he seems to be more painful, he should be evaluated by a veterinarian. Constipation shouldn't be an issue unless he is straining to defecate and cannot pass stool. If he is not trying to defecate then he is not likely to be constipated.

Since there is a history of trauma, he may have sustained an orthopedic injury and the only way to evaluate this would be with radiographs ("X-rays"), however other possible causes of swelling include a lack of lymphatic flow due to blockage, a tumor, an insect bite (or snake bite depending on the area) or allergic reaction and soft tissue injury such as a muscle strain or tear. Unfortunately, dogs do not handle over the counter drugs as well as humans do so there is nothing I can recommend giving him for pain. Ibuprofen can cause toxicity and side effects even at therapeutic doses and the therapeutic range is very narrow.

If he is uncomfortable enough to warrant pain medication, he should be evaluated by a veterinarian so that pain medication can be prescribed and dispensed. If the leg appears to be bruised, he should be seen by a veterinarian as well. Testicular torsion is not very common in dogs and is usually evident by a largely swollen and painful scrotum. If his testicles and scrotum look normal then I wouldn't worry about testicular torsion at this time. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me as this is the only way the website will credit me for my time. Best of luck to you and Chad! I hope he is feeling better soon.

Dr. Ellie

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie