Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 10 year old lab is eating grass which usually means her

Customer Question

My 10 year old lab is eating grass which usually means her stomach is off. However, she seems to trying to get something out of her throat. What can I do to help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I'm sorry Josephine is experiencing this. First, for the coughing/gagging, there is no an easy way at home to remove something from the throat. Certainly possible she got a blade of grass trapped. The best you can do is try to look (but the tongue is usually in the way; for us to look requires sedation) and you can encourage her to drink which may clear any actual foreign object causing irritation. Now, this cough/gag may not be from anything stuck in her throat, though. It may be she has true throat sensitivity such as could come from tonsillitis or a polyp/tumor or other infection. So, if this worsens or does not resolve within the next day you should have your veterinarian perform an exam.

The grass eating, if new, usually indicates a level of nausea. At home the only easy and safe thing you can try is famotidine (pepcid AC) which you can purchase at any people pharmacy (you would give 20mg every 12 hours). No anticipated side effects and does a great job soothing a sour stomach.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.
Hi Rory,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Josephine. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey