Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We think she has luck, we think she has licked a canvas

Customer Question

We think she has luck
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: we think she has licked a canvas painted with black
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oil paint
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She's 11 mths old border collie
JA: What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Ember
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Ember.

Most artists paints (which I assume this to be) aren't a problem beyond possible gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea) depending on how much was ingested unless they contain lead, which some, but not all, do. If the paint doesn't contain lead and she only ingested a small amount, I wouldn't expect any issues to develop.

If the label on the paint which was used does contain lead and the ingestion of the paint was within 2 hours or less, then you could induce vomiting if you have fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle). The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread. Walk Ember around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes if necessary.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

However, if the paint does contain lead and she only ingested a very small amount, then she's probably going to be fine but if she starts to become lethargic or consistently vomits or acts different in any way, then a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

A side note: The symptoms of lead toxicosis can be vague and resemble other conditions which is why I can't be more specific about signs which you'll want to monitor. Each patient often presents differently but the most commonly seen sign is vomiting. Deb