Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a damp ride that spilled and my 4 lb Yorkie licked up

Customer Question

I have a damp ride that spilled and my 4 lb Yorkie licked up some of the water !
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sammie
JA: How old is Sammie?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammie?
Customer: No, he is otherwise healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you clarify what you mean by "damp ride"? What is in this?

How long ago did Sammie lick this?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Damprid (auto correct) he seems fine it is the crystals in a container, my container broke open with out me knowing ,that collect humidity in the home
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it has been about half hour
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

No worries, auto correct can make some odd changes.

Now just with that clarified, how much do you think he may have had?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
looks like he licked a 4 by 3 inch section
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now the main concern is that this product can cause GI upset (nausea, vomiting, belly cramps, etc). Since this doesn't sound like a large ingestion, our main focus here would be to reduce the effects of this for Sammie. Therefore, we'd want to rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any residue.

Afterwards, we do want to try to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this doesn't sound like a severe ingestion and our main concern would be that this could upset the stomach. So, we'd want to start the above at this stage to remove any residue and prevent that upset over the next 48 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much !
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )