Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog just stole my meds (Tramadol) and chewed the bottle.

Customer Question

my idiot dog just stole my meds (Tramadol) and chewed the bottle. I don't know how many meds were in the bottle itself, dosage was 50 mg tablets, and probalaly less than 8 tablets left in the bottle. Do I need to get her to doggie ER or is she just going to take a good long nap?? Shes a boxer, about 50+ lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is ER?
Customer: shes abo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ER?
Customer: dogs name is ***** ***** shes about 2 years old, shes a rescue that we've had for a few months. Ijust found her munching the emply bottle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now this is a medication we do use in dogs, so it is not an outright poisoning. Though if she is ~50lbs, then having more then 2.5 capsules would be an overdose and carry the risk of sedation but also possible paradoxical reactions (ie agitation, anxiety) tremors, constipation, pupil constriction, decreased heart rate, GI upset and even seizures.

With this in mind, we do need to tread with care. If it has been <2 hours, you can induce vomiting (which I am happy to discuss) or have your vet do so. Though as it sounds like more time may have passed, so if it has been less then 8 hours you can try activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, if we aren't sure how much Dusty has had, then we need to tread with care. So the above would be best to reduce her toxicity risk just now. Otherwise, we'd want her vet to take the above steps depending on the time frame and give IV fluids to flush this out and avoid any harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Meh, given the immediacy of my issue, it would have been ice to know it could talk as long as 24 hrs for a response before you all got my $$. The advice was the same info that I found for freel with a little more searching, since I stated up all night watching the dog becaude I didn't hear back. Won't make that mistske