Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
What kind of dog is this?
Is there anything he could have gotten into? Garbage? Compost piles? Marijuana?
Is he vaccinated?
If he's that lethargic and just urinating on himself, I would guess that he got into something toxic. It could be a garbage and something moldy. Mold toxicity can cause signs like this. The best way to treat, is by putting them on IV fluids for 12-24 hours in an ER hospital as a detox type of treatment. Most dogs will respond nicely and get back to normal within that time period.
If you can't get him in, then I would try to get some fluids in him at home- water, pedialyte, gatorade. I would also try to get some canned food or cook up some chicken or hamburger to get some calories into him. Ideally, though, a night on IV fluids would be beneficial.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Hello. Thanks for the question.
I wouldn't expect popcorn to make him this lethargic. It's possible that there was something moldy and we're seeing a mold toxicity. It's also possible that he has something else going on. I would take a look at his gum color. If it's pink, that is normal. If it's pale, then I would worry about an abdominal mass that is bleeding- this is very common in older goldens.
Ideally, I would have him monitored through the next 12-24 hours at an ER vet. They may elect to keep him on IV fluids to flush out any toxin. They may also run some bloodwork to make sure it's not a metabolic issue or an anemia issue. Best case scenario is that it's just some GI upset and they give some fluids and meds and get him home.
How did everything go today?