Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

Her eyes are irritated. Prescott, AZ, is a terrible place,

Customer Question

Her eyes are irritated. Prescott, AZ, is a terrible place for allergies, both human and animal! which is why I have Zaditor on hand. Her eyes have heavy mucus-like gunk in the corners and dried around the lower lid. She always has some deposit there in the mornings, but this is extreme and started after a hike in the woods a couple of nights ago. I used the Zaditor antihistamine drops on her, one drop each eye, and it removed the problem. the same day. I was at the Allergist's office today getting my WEEKLY SHOT! and asked about dogs using Zaditor and the nurses got really upset and said I should ask a vet before giving human meds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pinky, Age approx 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pinky?
Customer: Not really. She was a rescue. I got her when she was five. I take her to the vet for her annual and if anything else is amiss. The vet I'm using right now is about an hour away, which is why I didn't rush down there. Pinky had Heartworm when I got her. The shelter she came from had her in a foster home, taking doxycycline (?sp). I ultimately got her the full Heartworm treatment, 10 days at the vet's office, quiet at home for another 2 weeks. She has been fine ever since.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Pinky's eye issue. It sounds like Pinky has an infection rather than allergies. It is quite rare to see build up in the eyes due to allergies in dogs. I recommend taking Pinky to your vet (even though it is far) to get her eyes checked for infection and also to check for "dry eye".

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks very much. I will do

You're welcome!

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat