Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What herbs or diet might be helpful to a standard poodle

Customer Question

What herbs or diet might be helpful to a standard poodle that has been diagnosed with bone cancer? I'm hoping that if I can strengthen her immune system she might go into remission.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How was China diagnosed with the cancer? How long ago was she diagnosed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She was diagnosed from x-rays. The apparent tumor is in the upper part of the femur, near the pelvis. She was diagnosed 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She became lame in one leg (back right) after falling back trying to get into the truck. She fell a second time a week later which made the leg worse. X-rays were taken to see if there was a fracture or other signs of damage. A suspicious, jagged area was seen on the x-ray along with what appeared to be a healed fracture. The femur is pushing away from the pelvic bone (there is a space and the angle of the two bones connecting at the joint is abnormal) compared to the left side.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's presently using only three legs (not putting weight on the back right) due to pain.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correction, China's taking only 50 mg carprofen 2Xday along with 100 mg gabapentin 2xday.

Sorry for the delay. I was off line when you responded. Sorry to hear about China. There are some supplements I have prescribed to several of my patients who have suffered from cancer in some instances it seemed to help some and sometimes it did not. It all depended on how advanced the cancer was. The name of the supplements I have used that can help boost the immune system is CAS options and Blood and Energy. The challenge with bone cancer in dogs is that it is one of the most aggressive tumors in dogs. So it spreads pretty rapidly. Also the major issue with bone cancer is dealing with bone pain. There are very few medications that can treat bone pain that comes from bone cancer. That is why many owners opt to remove the leg in order to provide some type of relief.

There are also some joint supplements that you can try in addition to what you are using now. One joint supplement that I use is called Glyde Mobility.

Let me know if you have any further questions.