Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

MY DOG WAS POKING THIS FEMALE IN HEAT AND NOW S PENIS WON'T

Customer Question

MY DOG WAS POKING THIS FEMALE IN HEAT AND NOW HIS PENIS WON'T GO BACKUP IN THE SHEATH. WHAT DO I DO
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. How long has his penis been out of the prepuce (sheath of skin)? Has it become swollen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's been about 35 minutes and it is swollen
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

You can try to help replace the penis at home depending on your dog's cooperation and the amount of swelling by applying a large amount of lubricant (like ky jelly) to the penis and gently trying to pull the prepuce down over the penis.

Unfortunately sometimes if a good amount of swelling is present, this condition does require veterinary treatment. If a large amount of swelling is present we sometimes have to apply a special dextrose solution to the penis to try to decrease the fluid and sedate the dog to allow them to relax enough to pull the prepuce over the penis. In rare cases, a small incision may need to be made to allow the prepuce to slide over the penis if the swelling is severe.

So if your dog will allow it, I would try to apply a large amount of lubricant to the penis and gently push it backwards as you pull the prepuce down. If this is not effective or your dog will not allow it, then emergency care is needed. Here is an article on this condition, which is called paraphimosis: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/pmahaney/2013/june/paraphimosis-pet-emergency-or-owner-embrassment-30463

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your dog!

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Just checking to see how things went with your dog last night?

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.
Hi Tara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zuess. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay