Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog threw up yellow none foam. Three times but all in one

Customer Question

My dog threw up yellow none foam. Three times but all in one event. She is now drooling and her nose is running.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We came home to a head lamp destroyed but we have a puppy as well so there were little pieces of plastic. She's not one to tear stuff up.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: LoLo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lolo?
Customer: She's 7
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like something upset her stomach and that caused the nausea. I don't think it's too serious at this time. I would try some symptomatic care for now. If the signs don't resolve, then I would potentially get her seen to run some diagnostics and treat more aggressively.

At home, you can give over the counter Pepcid (Famotidine). The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed. I would also give her 6-8 hours with no food or water from the last episode of vomiting. After that time, you can give some water and a bland diet (chicken/ rice) for a day or two before getting back on her normal food.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. She's now committing again and more clear yellow. Kinda of like a raw egg.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems like she's trying to get more than she is up
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Another thing that may help faster is some liquid Maalox or Mylanta. You could give 1/2 teaspoon orally and see if that helps settle her down. If she keeps trying to vomit, then I would get her in for injectable meds and to make sure it's nothing too serious.