Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Noticed that there is swelling on both sides above our 8

Customer Question

Noticed that there is swelling on both sides above our 8 year old Female English mastiff. And she has been itching. When bathing her she seems to have pain when touching each side. No smell though
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Babe. We have used Benedryl for itching. But she has not had flea treatment for at least 2 months. No sign of fleas at all. Just swelling on each side
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babe?
Customer: No. Very heathy dog. Keeping her inside in air conditioning. Itching started 5 days ago. Worst at night.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may be having some allergies. Benadryl can help, but she'll probably also need a round of steroids (Prednisone) to get this resolved. I would talk with your vet in the next day or two to see if they can help out. Otherwise, a topical steroid with Hydrocortisone may help here.

I would also make sure you're giving the correct Benadryl dose. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. In a big mastiff, you're likely to be giving 4-6 capsules at a time.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.