Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My in laws dog started acting odd 6 days ago. Having

Customer Question

My in laws dog started acting odd 6 days ago. Having seizures and acting like she can't see or hear. I'm concerned it's possibly rabies Because she hasn't been vaccinated. She is eating and drinks a little bit acts odd. Waking in circles and hiding behind stuff. My in laws said she ate a ton yesterday and like she was starving. It's been 6 days since we saw her first act off and have her first seizure. Does this sound like rabies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Rabies does not have a typical look. It's so rare, that the handful of cases reported per year will have different presentations. It can look manic where the dog is aggressive and drooling and fractious. It can also have a dumb form where the dog is lethargic and minimally responsive. Either way, they can have seizures. I think rabies is a thought, but it's extremely unlikely.

The more common causes of neurologic signs would be epilepsy in dogs 1-5 years of age or a brain tumor in dogs > 8 years of age. In that middle grey zone, it could be either one or an infection (encephalitis) or even a condition called Vestibular that looks like Vertigo in people.

I would have a good neuro exam done by a vet and then start treatment based on the localization and severity.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?