Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My Labrador Retriever started breaking out in scabby bumps

Customer Question

My Labrador Retriever started breaking out in scabby bumps and clusters about 2 weeks ago. It started on her head and has spread to her neck, back and now chest. The head has cleared, but she has scratched her neck raw and bloody. We live in Mississippi, and it is terribly hot and humid.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The first thing to rule out here is a flea allergy dermatitis. If there are any fleas or flea dirt on the dog, then that could be the issue. This time of year, I recommend monthly flea preventative on all pets.

This may also be a skin infection, especially with the raw look to the lesions. In that case, it's usually allergies with a secondary staph infection. I'll usually treat them with a round of antibiotics (Cephalexin) + a short course of a steroid (Prednisone). I'll also have the owners pick up Benadryl to give at home as needed. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given up to every 6-8 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.