Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I have an elderly border collie and have just seen blood in

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I have an elderly border collie and have just seen blood in his eye, possibly both.
JA: What is the Border collie's name and age?
Customer: Tucker we think he is 15
JA: What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Tucjer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucjer?
Customer: Tucker has had heart failure about 4 months ago, he died on the operating table for 2.5 minutes and although his recovery has been very good, yesterday he kept falling over on a walk and slept ,most of the day today.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Tucjer. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

If tucker has blood in his eye, this could affect his vision and be a sign of serious illness so he should be evaluated by an emergency veterinarian right away. Blood in the eye could indicate a bleeding disorder, high blood pressure or trauma or other serious disease. If he is on a medication to prevent clots this may explain the blood in his eye but the only way to rule out other causes is to have him evaluated in person. As far as testing, clotting tests chemistry tests a CBC and a thorough eye exam including pressure testing and looking for corneal ulceration and testing tear production is recommended. He is showing signs of a true medical emergency and needs immediate evaluation. The best recommendation I can make at this time is to take him to your local emergency clinic tonight. They will be able to do the appropriate testing and make recommendations based on what they find. Best of luck to you and Tucker!! If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me so that the question can be closed and I can be compensated appropriately. If you have additional questions I can answer, please feel free to ask.

Very Sincerely,

Dr. Ellie