Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Stepped in creosote on railroad ties. Puked about 5 times. I

Customer Question

Stepped in creosote on railroad ties. Puked about 5 times. I cleaned his paws thoroughly and he seems OK now. Is there any immediate threat to his life? He is a 55 lbs +/- American Staffordshire.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I think he may have licked his paws a little which caused the puking in my estimation
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Need an answer ASAP. About to pack up and start driving 4.5 hours home. Need to know if the dogs situation is more severe and needs a local vet where I am currently
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This should not be too serious. The most I would expect from that ingestion is some mild GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). It shouldn't cause anything that is long lasting or toxic.

If the vomiting continues for more than 12 hours, then I would get him seen for symptomatic care- anti-nausea infections and fluids for hydration. I think it's safe to head home at this point and let things calm down and resolve on their own.