Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My two ShiTzus are healthy (exception of bladder infections

Customer Question

my two ShiTzus are healthy (exception of bladder infections from time to time). They travel well by car, but we are trying to take them on vacation by plane. A friend said her Vet gave her dog Tranzodone and I am trying to seek information concerning whether this is a common drug.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Triaenodon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Triaenodon?
Customer: my spelling is Trazodone
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Although I do use trazadone for dogs postoperatively to keep them calm it isn't something I dispense for plane rides. In fact, the most common and effective use is an over the counter product called rescue remedy. It is a flower essence that reduces anxiety and is the safest option. When traveling with my dogs on planes it is what I have used reliably.

I tend to avoid medications because if there is a reaction or heavy sedation you are stuck in an situation with a heavily sedated dog and cannot reverse nor do anything about their state. The rescue remedy simply calms their anxiety and really is effective. CLICK HERE for a link on amazon but it is often available at your local vitamin store. I do prefer the human versus the pet version of the supplement and testing it out before a trip while your veterinarian is open to ask questions if there is an adverse effect.

Typically starting with a few drops hourly to find the desired reduction in anxiety then using that an hour prior to travel, repeating as needed on the flight...

Please let me know how else I can assist you all today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!