Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Not eating, heavy labored breathing, extremely dry nose,

Customer Question

Not eating, heavy labored breathing , extremely dry nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maile, age 13. I don't want to mistake something fixable with her age and let her suffer thinking " it's just her time" when it could be remedied
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maile?
Customer: Severe arthritis and torn acl
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ended up having to deposit $19 , not $5 like stated and it also said I'd have question answered in real time and be connected to a vet by this vets assistant but now it's "within a day"?
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

I'm sorry to hear about the breathing trouble that Maile is experiencing. The dry nose is not indicative of anything in particular (another old wives' tale about dogs) but the labored breathing is concerning and I recommend that Maile be evaluated by an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible. Without further information, I cannot speculate about the cause of her breathing difficulty but it sounds like she needs oxygen support and immediate emergency treatment. It may be that she has something treatable or not but whether it is "her time" is something only you can answer with the help of a veterinarian that has examined her. There are many reasons that a dog may experience respiratory distress but unfortunately the cause can only be determined from a physical exam and veterinary evaluation in person. Best of luck you you and Maile. Please let me know if i can be of further assistance. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me so that I can be compensated appropriately. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Very Sincerely,

Dr. Ellie.

I cannot speak to the costs and fees, however I have responded to your question as I thought it urgent. If you are dissatisfied, please contact customer service and if I can answer any further questions, please feel free to let me know. Given the concern about respiratory difficulty, however, I recommend immediate evaluation by your local emergency veterinary clinic as it sounds like Maile needs urgent assistance.