Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have a 8 yr old daschund that needs s shots. He weighs 11

Customer Question

i have a 8 yr old daschund that needs his shots. He weighs 11 lbs. But I dont have the money to get it done . Do you know what I can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your predicament! There are a few things you can consider. One, is that you don't have to get all his shots at the same time if you cannot afford to. You can start with the most important (Rabies), and do that one first (which is required by law). The next most important shot is the DHPP or Distemper shot. I would do that one next. The other vaccines that are recommended for dogs may include Bordetella, Influenza, or Lyme disease, but this depends on your dog's lifestyle. They are less important than the rabies and distemper shots.

I would also try to find out if there is a Humane Society or ASPCA or animal shelter in your area. Often these facilities may have a hospital attached that has reduced price vaccines, or they may run special days where they have a vaccine clinic set up for low cost. If they don't, they may be able to refer you to a group that does this type of low cost clinic. You may also contact your city or town and see if they know of any low-cost vaccine clinics that will be in your area.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Have you tried contacting any of the groups I mentioned already?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.
Hi Shirley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sydney. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay