Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old Sheltie, living in an air conditioned

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old Sheltie, living in an air conditioned house, (71 degrees), he is overweight (40 pounds), drinking excessive amounts of water, only goes out long enough to do his business. He is in labored breathing, panting all the time, sleeps very soundly to the point he doesn't wake up even when I touch him. Does this indicate he is coming to the end of life?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 5 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Indy.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• Does Indy have any medical issues or is he taking any medications?
  • How is his appetite?
  • How long has he been drinking excessive amounts of water?