Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** This situation shouldn't be one to be a bad one. From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Formulary:
The LD50 in rats after oral administration is reportedly >4 grams/kg. Should a massive overdose occur, treat symptomatically and supportively.
5 of the 20 mg omeprazole capsules means 100 mg was eaten. A 20 pound dog is basically 10 kg so that would be a 10 mg / kg dose. There are 1000 mg in in a gram. So the LD 50 in rats of > 4 g / kg converted is 4000 mg / kg.
This situation is one that a toxicity shouldn't be expected from. Could an owner induce vomiting at home to get out the pills? This can be effective in the first 30 minutes most likely. With omeprazole ingestions of this amount, there wouldn't be the need to do that as there shouldn't be any clinical problems with it.
I was trying to show some of the math involved as that can help some owners to get a better picture of where toxicity levels are at.
4 then is even less likely to be an issue. The food more than likely would help to slow absorption by mixing with the tablets. This would potentially help if inducing vomiting was going to be needed.