Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog just ate 5 Omprezoles at 20 mg each. What should I

Customer Question

Hi my dog just ate 5 Omprezoles at 20 mg each. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** is 11 months old and is 20 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** This situation shouldn't be one to be a bad one. From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Formulary:

Overdosage/Acute Toxicity

The LD50 in rats after oral administration is reportedly >4 grams/kg. Should a massive overdose occur, treat symptomatically and supportively.

5 of the 20 mg omeprazole capsules means 100 mg was eaten. A 20 pound dog is basically 10 kg so that would be a 10 mg / kg dose. There are 1000 mg in in a gram. So the LD 50 in rats of > 4 g / kg converted is 4000 mg / kg.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't really understand your answer

This situation is one that a toxicity shouldn't be expected from. Could an owner induce vomiting at home to get out the pills? This can be effective in the first 30 minutes most likely. With omeprazole ingestions of this amount, there wouldn't be the need to do that as there shouldn't be any clinical problems with it.

I was trying to show some of the math involved as that can help some owners to get a better picture of where toxicity levels are at.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok great thanks a lot! She actually had eaten 4 not 5. Two half prilosecs were on the ground. I have given her quite a bit of food since it happened. Is that good? Was thinking it could help

4 then is even less likely to be an issue. The food more than likely would help to slow absorption by mixing with the tablets. This would potentially help if inducing vomiting was going to be needed.