jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My question is I want to adopt a dog. I have three Cats and

Customer Question

Hello, My question is I want to adopt a dog . I have three Cats and Three Ferrets The Ferrets are not in cages and roam the house with the Cats. They all get along. I do miss having a dog. I am told that Dogs get along with the Ferrets Should I get a Puppy or a mature dog. Female I thought would be the best also.
Thank you,
Robert
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 5 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I would get a puppy and not a mature dog. I'd also steer away from large breeds and any terrier type of dog. Most terrior breeds were bred to hunt small game and will often instinctively chase a ferret. A larger dog might inadvertently hurt a ferret either by biting too hard in play, or pouncind on them. They might also react to a ferret's bite by snapping back which could have disastrous results. I would not say dogs and ferrets get along or that they don't, just that you have to be prepared to step in and correct any undesirable behavior on both parts. Read more on it here:

http://www.adopt-a-ferret-101.com/ferrets-and-dogs.html

I would apply some behavioral tests as well to any puppy you chose to . You will want one that scores mostly 4's.

http://searchdogs.co.nz/assets/files/Volhard%20Puppy%20Aptitude%20Test.pdf

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 4 months ago.

hi,

I'd like to check in and see how things are going. Did you end up getting a puppy? What was your final choice? I hope my answer was helpful.