Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog may have swallowed a piece of suboxyone. I

Customer Question

I think my dog may have swallowed a piece of suboxyone. I take one twice a day but I break it in half m.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: he is just a puppy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What milligrams are the tablets?

How much does your puppy weigh?

How long ago do you think he had this?

How is he now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tablet would have been 8 mgs and he swallowed about a third. It's been almost 30 hours now and he is playful, but is whining and will eat out of my hand but not out of the bowl. I feel like he is bloated as he pooped unusual. The other dimension which I think may be bigger than this is he hasn't had any of his deworming and shots yet. My son is taking him to the vet today.I guess my question is how long will the effects take place as the pills are designed to be placed under the mouth and sucked on into the siliva. Since he ate it I thought maybe it wouldn't effect him as much. He is still whining though but doesn't have a drunk walk as if he is messed up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Now since both the ingredients in this medication are used in dogs, this wasn't an outright poisoning. Furthermore, if he ate it instead of letting it melt in the mouth, his stomach acid would have reduced it effectiveness. So, really all we would have expected was sedation for 24-48 hours if anything at all. So, if he wasn't over the past 30 hours, we'd not expect any issue from this at this point.

Otherwise, its not likely to have caused the other signs you noted. If he is bloated, then worms are our main concern so that is worth having his vet treat for. And we'd hope that addressing those would help with his appetite, but we' d just want his vet to check for any possible odd items in his stomach (if he is prone to picking up things he isn't supposed to like tablets) and rule out a brewing gut infection. That way we can just head off any upset and get him back to eating out of his bowl properly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I run his tummy it seems to help and he is pooping out a lot of worms. The only other concern is he is not drinking or peeing so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

That is fine to do and you can even try tempting him with a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese) or canned food (since it is 35% water and will sneak in more fluids). Otherwise, if he is passing lots of worms, then we absolutely want him treated when he is seen and we'd also want his vet to have a good feel of him to make sure there are no worm induced blockages of the gut causing these other signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I get any over the counter MEDS before his appointment or all them and tell then what is going on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you sooooioo much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If he is being seen at this point, I'd not advise OTC medications beforehand since that would prevent the vet from treating for 2-4 weeks. So,its best for the vet to see him first and you can bring a sample of the worms for them to confirm what is present. That way his vet can choose the best wormer against this worm species. And since he already has an appointment, they likely don't need to be updated on this before the visit but you can ring and let them know if you wished to.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One last thing before I give you great feedback. You mentioned that this medication isn't poison to a dog. Is there a list of foods and items that are. I have a full grown beagle that is 11 and I forgot the types of food puppies are. NOT ALLOWED to have like chocolate,etc. is there somewhere I can find this info?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

There are a lot of online resources that do list these unsafe foods, but you can find a general list one HERE and a good article with more of a description HERE.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we had to rush the little one to the vet because he was really getting bad with whimpering. The vet drew blood found round and hook worms. Took an X-ray found she has a small hernia in stomach. They found big worms in there also. The main concern was gas bubbles and dehydration. The vet seemed to think putting an IV in gave her 100ml of water to flush out anything. The vet held off on pargo and heartworm but did as stated did deworm. The puppy is doing much better and my concern will soon shift to getting that pargo shot. Very expensive. It's seems the puppy got gas from the subutex and the infestation clearly made her dehydrated. The true test will be how she is in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Well, its good they confirmed our concerns and that she is being wormed to remove all of those parasites. And as they too can cause GI upset, gas bubbles, and dehydration; the likely had just as much to do with the signs you have seen. So,hopefully she will feel better once hydrated and once she is 100% she can have that vaccine.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think I can have her shots done this Wednesday? I worry about pargo bad.. Sorry for the questions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Since we need her to develop a good immunity when we give the vaccine, we want her 100% before it's given. So if she is settled by Wednesday, then she can have it. If not, them it is best to delay and just keep her indoors and away from any parvo risk until her immune system is ready for the vaccine.

Take care,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet