Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an 8 year old dachshund that periodically walks in

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old dachshund that periodically walks in circles and pants and appears to be under a lot of stress. One vet ran a battery of blood and urine tests and said that tests were all normal and another vet prescribed some pills that did nothing. I wonder if you might have encountered these symptoms in other dachshunds. Perhaps this behavior might be common in this breed of dog.?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Dachshund. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I just came online; I am sorry to see you did not get help from an expert before now. How is he doing now? What were the pills that did nothing?

One problem that is common in this breed is spine problems such as inflamed discs between the vertebrae, putting pressure on the spinal cord. This can cause pain and neurologic problems. Pain can cause panting and circling can be seen with neurologic disease.

Circling can also be from inner ear problems. Unfortunately, when we examine a dog with an otoscope, all we can see is the outer ear. To see the middle and inner ear, we need imaging such as MRI or CT.

It would help to know what those pills were that were tried but did not help: antibiotics? pain medication? steroids? I would consider trying pain medication such as gabapentin when this happens and see if it helps. I would also consider a consult with a veterinary neurologist. Taking a video of these episodes to show your vet or if you go to a neurologist might be helpful.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is your dachshund doing?