Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is all of a sudden acting like back legs not working

Customer Question

My dog is all of a sudden acting like back legs not working she is 3 years old and has been having some diarrhea today. I caught her eating some organic fertilizer this morning. I checked the bag and it contains Nitrogen 5% poultry manure, bone meal, alfalfa meal, sulfate of potash and bacillus licheniformis, and 2 other types of bacillu
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: nothing and she has been fine all day in fact I just got done grooming her saw nothing
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: She is a 60 pound golden retriever
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Kaya
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I paid the $5 is a vet going to get back to me or is this a scam?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The organic fertilizers can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, iron toxicity, and bezoars (concretions) in the gastrointestinal tract but "back legs not working" (ataxia/"drunken sailor") isn't expected although my patient could be so weakened by toxicity that she appears "drunk". Back legs not working is usually associated with myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (FCE/an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord), or tumor in or around the spinal cord. May I have an update on Kaya, please?