Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 9 year old pomeranian x fox terrier she has a lump

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old pomeranian x fox terrier she has a lump on her Vulva i went to the vet the vet thought it was a urinary tract infection. The lump is still there could it be a urinary tract infection or something else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Rachel, I'm not sure how a lump on her vulva is related to a urinary tract infection (UTI). A UTI serious enough to cause vulvar infection should also be causing stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine and perhaps hematuria (blood in the urine) as well. Can you upload a photo(s) of the lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thank you! I see a general swelling of her vulva but not a specific lump. If she's not spayed I would expect her to be in heat. If she is spayed, her vulva may be swollen due to estrogen stimulus of the ovarian remnant syndrome - a tiny portion of ovary was inadvertently left in her abdomen after her spay surgery or, less commonly, there is an infection in her urinary tract that now is involving her vulva. A urinalysis needs to be performed looking for evidence of a UTI (bacteria, abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells) and if that evidence is missing, a vaginal cytology performed looking for the changes in her vaginal cells typical of estrus (heat).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Rachel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mango's vulva is still swallowen I've been given neocort cream. I have been using it for 4 days but no change

Thank you for the update. Mango's vet needs to consider the things I mentioned above and test Mango appropriately.